About Me

My photo
Perth, WA, Australia
Man and I are new Paleo People. We like to go out for breakfast, lunch and dinner more than occasionally. We have been doing the "Whole 30" and are managing quite nicely, thank you very much. As Paleo is looking likely to be our lifestyle we need to know where we can go and eat out and find new food for our new lifestyle. We are learning how to order at restaurants, what is good at home, what our staples are. I found I needed a place to go to help to keep me on track and give me ideas and couldn't find local info. So I am making one for the next person that is looking for a place for paleo friendly info for Perth. Urban Cave Girl blog has evolved to. Now I am sharing what I am learning. This is not a difficult to adhere to lifestyle and we do go "off plan" occasionally. My hope is this blog seves as a guide for other newbie Paleo People.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

International Women's Day

Tomorrow is International Women's Day.  According to the Office for Women's Policy, an Australian Government department, this day celebrates the achievements and gains made by women and draws attention to the gender equity gap that still exists.  This past week was also a celebration of my university cohort who celebrated their university graduation. For many of the women in my cohort it was also a celebration of success over adversity and marks new opportunities for women.  I guess you should be aware that for many of us we are over 25 and under 50.  For the older of us, myself included, it was especially celebratory because when we left school we thought our opportunity to study at university was all but lost. 

For my part I took the decision with my partner that our children should have a stay at home parent until they were ready for some independence.  That task fell to me because, as is the case with many women, my earning capacity was limited by my education.  My partner earned and was likely to earn more money.  Having him take on the role of earner and me carer was sensible.  I addressed my responsibilities with pride and was an active mother in preparing my children to be responsible citizens of the world.  It was clear that after 10 years of fulltime parenting and with children installed in school that it was time to focus on how I could make up ground in contributing financially and substantially to our family unit.  I decided, with the support and encouragement  of my partner, to pursue a long time goal of obtaining a university degree.  This entailed me pulling back on my domestic duties and my partner adding some of these duties to his load.  Mostly domesticity fell between the cracks of our ambition but the basics were done and we both made sure our children were encouraged to grow socially and psychologically.  It wasn't always easy but we got there in the end. 

Graduation this week was a feminist statement.  I received my degree in regalia designed for men from an instituion that recognised the rights of women and encouraged their enrolment and I am proud of my acheivement but recognise that if not for those who supported my endeavour my success would have been limited. The simple fact is that without my education, and continuing education in a Masters course, my ability to provide for myself and my family financially would not be possible given that I took the choice to be a full time carer for my children.  I take it to be my responsibility to pursue a career in a profession that will provide myself with satisfaction in work and provide the financial requisites for my ongoing financial independence.

My graduate cohort also included a woman of similar age to me and a commenter on this site.  Tracey is a woman who has worked, married, raised a child, divorced and excelled.  Tracey has attracted academic accolades and is a model for what is possible by women in the middle age.  Tracey was Valedictorian of our graduation group and also received a University Medal for her outstanding efforts in the academy.  Tracey accomplished her academic feat while she financially supported herself through the four year degree.  Such dedication to study takes a toll on social relationships and many of my cohort have found that, as mature age students, we come out of our degree with a different social network than the one we started our university experience with.  

It is through women like Tracey and others that provide me with inspiration and hope for women in Australia.  It is my fervant hope that on this International Women's Day, women are inspired to pursue their dream and that the inspiration leads to a successful accomplishment of that dream. 

Happy International Women's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment