About Me

My photo
Perth, WA, Australia
Man and I are new Paleo People. We like to go out for breakfast, lunch and dinner more than occasionally. We have been doing the "Whole 30" and are managing quite nicely, thank you very much. As Paleo is looking likely to be our lifestyle we need to know where we can go and eat out and find new food for our new lifestyle. We are learning how to order at restaurants, what is good at home, what our staples are. I found I needed a place to go to help to keep me on track and give me ideas and couldn't find local info. So I am making one for the next person that is looking for a place for paleo friendly info for Perth. Urban Cave Girl blog has evolved to. Now I am sharing what I am learning. This is not a difficult to adhere to lifestyle and we do go "off plan" occasionally. My hope is this blog seves as a guide for other newbie Paleo People.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Screws and Nuts

Hi 

Well, it has been a while since I have had anything to talk to you about. I have had some experiences over the past few days that have given pause for thought and I thought I might share them with you.  First of all I got a new bicycle yesterday.  As I am no longer in the flush of youth I found that my current bike was no longer suitable for the style of riding I wish to do.  Have you ever noticed that today's bikes for women are made so that we have to hoick our leg toes pointed up to the sky to get on the damn thing.  Well, I was OVER it.  I had had my previous bike for over 10 years and it has been well used.  When my children were younger it was my transport.  I had a covered trailer that attached to the back and I carried around both my children until they were well into their first years of school.  It was a sturdy mountain bike and it did well.  I was limber and slender for the most part.  However, now I am less fit and a bit wider.  I no longer feel the desire to demonstrate my flexibility by throwing my leg in the air to mount my bike.  I want to step onto a bike with an ample seat for my ample seat.  I wish to ride upright and see the world.  In other words rather than pelt, I wish to glide.  The new bicycle provides that for me.



This is my dream bike. It is an example of addressing the needs of the individual instead of generic design for all.  Equity is about getting what you need. It is not about getting the same thing as everyone else.  Even if we divide into gender there are specific needs of men and women that require consideration.    

The attainment of my bike has led me to another observation.  I decided to take the carrier from the back of my old bike and install it on the dream machine.  As I was speaking to a friend on the phone while sitting on the ground with bike parts, fasteners and tools spread all around me it occurred to us that the fasteners were named after male genitalia and sex.  Nuts & Screws. I wonder if this is coincidence or on purpose?  I would be most interested to find out from you in the blogosphere your ideas of gendered tools, instruments etc.  Leave your comments below.

Thanks for Reading
Bo.

2 comments:

  1. Is it becasue men are always thinking with their genetalia? Therefore, if anything was going to get done, it had to be named after their 'bits'! - OR maybe it is just another way for men to be able to reinforce their masculinity? (past not present...) A man's tools for a man's job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was another thought I had while I was putting on the bike carrier. I watch my partner doing this kind of thing all the time and he just knows what to do. Where did he learn that from? Was it school? Home? I had to get my information from YouTube. Hail the great informer!!

    ReplyDelete